In Love

In uniform and smoking hot, she paraded her self with confidence. Her hair was parted down the middle while touching her shoulders. I loved her playfulness and her smile. Her brown glasses accented her brown eyes.

The McDonald's picnic raised my awareness of her. It was a perfect day, around 70 degrees. A gentle breeze blew giving us the freedom to frolic in the sun. To give their employees an added bonus the fast food restaurant held an annual picnic. We wanted each others attention right from the beginning. She by dumping water on me and me by not trying too hard to stay dry. It was a fun summer day. One that changed the course of our lives.  We were inseparable.

We planned an engagement within months of that fun filled afternoon. She, with love in her eyes, wore my ring. Her confidence jettisoned me into the Navy. One word and I would of not signed the enlistment papers. With her encouragement and foresight of the future I became a sailor.
We married and journeyed to San Diego. We were in love.

Those first days in the beach town called Imperial, was one of excitement, trepidation and apprehension. We were young, inexperienced and naive. Those were ingredients for an adventure. Those stories at a later date.

I will relate one of those adventures. Kim was due to have our first baby. My ship was deploying out to the Pacific for routine operations.I was to be on board USS Kitty Hawk by March 24th, unless Kim went into labor. Kristina listened to my voice and made her appearance on March 23rd but not without putting us through several hours of labor. I can say us because of our lamaze classes. I'm not sure the pain and anxiety was decreased because of the class or from being tired.  

I enjoy looking back on those days and I wouldn't change a bit of it. I am who I am because of a nice summer day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Weekly Health Tip: Daily Routine

Following your daily routine is the key to being the best version of yourself. I wanted more sleep this morning. My habits motivated me into...