Fire on the USS Joseph Hewes

The ship was taking rolls and I had to watch my balance. I held onto the counter. The "battle station" alarm was a routine in our ship board life. When we heard, "Battle stations, battle stations, all hands man your battle stations," each sailor headed to his assigned area. It was a drill in speed. It didn't matter what you were doing, you dropped everything, even Z's, and headed to your battle station.

I heard the alarm and as usual I ran to my area, securing doors behind me. My place was the galley, which was good because if I got hungry I could eat. Well not today.

After several minutes men dressed in breathing masks rushed into our area. A person lifted his mask to tell us to follow them. His tone was urgent. My heart began to pound. We followed the group of men to a more secure position. Sailors were scrambling in every direction. One of the strongest rules we were taught was just violated. We had to stay in our own battle station. Something was horribly wrong.

A sailor stopped long enough to say one dreadful word: "FIRE"

My entire life flashed in front of me. Would I see my family again? Would I be burned alive? I remembered my training in fire fighting. One of the worst things that can happen to a ship at sea was fire and we had a shipboard fire. We were told we were moved because the fire originated below the galley.

It seemed like time stood still. I can remember it right now as it just occurred. My life all of a sudden took on a new significance.

I think of Galations 2:20 when I look back on that day and those moments. When I was faced with death I had a different outlook upon life. It was like taking a picture and putting a black background behind it. The picture stood out. My life stood out that day. "I have been put to death with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." That verse was made real for me in the possibility of death. What if I lived as though I were dead? My life would be highlighted. I would live differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Weekly Health Tip: Daily Routine

Following your daily routine is the key to being the best version of yourself. I wanted more sleep this morning. My habits motivated me into...