Duggars - My Thoughts


Duggars
I was shocked when I heard the news about the sexual misconduct of Josh Duggar, as you may have been also. I’ve tried to wrap my mind around the issue. Josh is straight forward in his response saying he was horribly wrong and would change it if he could.

The part I wonder about is the actions of the parents. They, upon finding out about the misconduct, alerted the authorities and sent Josh to counseling. But they kept it out of the media. I wonder how the victims felt? Were they asked to quickly forgive and be silent about the sin? It seems so. If I were in their shoes I don’t know what I would have done. Maybe the same. But I think I would have been wrong because to sweep something under the rug is harmful to the victims. I think the Christian community is too quick to say, “I forgive.” We absolutely need to forgive, but it’s a process, a grieving time. To put something in the darkness and tell everyone to forget about it can’t help. Every victim of sexual abuse has something stolen from them. They need to be able to grieve. Maybe that happened in the Duggar family. I hope so.

I also hope the network allows the Duggars to continue. I think they owe it to the viewing community to demonstrate how they worked through this issue. No more pushing it under the rug, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Weekly Health Tip: Daily Routine

Following your daily routine is the key to being the best version of yourself. I wanted more sleep this morning. My habits motivated me into...